From 00.40 to 2.22 sec of the video, it explains on how the bodpod works and the steps taken before someone enters the machine.
If the air displacement test is performed correctly according to the recommended guidelines, there is a ± 3% error.
Factors affecting the results obtained from air displacement method include:
- Hydration status and increases in muscle temperature, as it can adversely affect calculation results
- Movement and activity in the bodpod (It is imperative to breath normal, remain still, and keep hands in lap while being assessed by the Bod Pod. Any slight movement or change in breathing pattern may affect results.)
Advantages of air displacement (bodpod) method:
- Does not require anyone to get wet
- System is easy to operate
- Measurement time is short
- Well suited for special populations, which includes children, obese, elderly, and disabled people
Disadvantages of air displacement (bodpod) method:
- Very expensive (The machine used cost about $30,000 - $40,000)
- Only a few facilities have the Bod Pod, since it is expensive